Power line inspection is one of the most dangerous and challenging jobs. UAVs have shown to have brought significant reduction in time and hazard associated with power line inspection. The images gathered from the drone can be used to visually identify damages and problems which are otherwise very hard and sometimes not possible.
Woot Tech SkyEye VTOL and SkyEyeo ffers a linear ferry range of 100 km, ideal or power line inspection in much smaller time. We also provide post light analytics based on image processing to assess the condition of power lines.
Key possibilities of using UAVs in remote sensing of power line infrastructure are:
- Assessing general conditions of electric line that consist of: sections of power line inter-cross; power lines that lay across public roads, swamp, and flood area detection; the plant forestry growing along the line and their classification; the presence of combust debris, constructions, forestry and unauthorized waste disposal in the protected area;
- Assessing power line towers and respective elements in construction (traverses, racks, braces, foundations), bending in the mast construction, fracture of the power line, guy wires, fundaments and concrete quality assessment;
- Aerial inspection of wires, insulators, to examine the external conditions of the objects, overheat, insulator overheats, local overheats, wire overlap areas, etc.;
- Determination of geometric parameters: coordinates of land parcels within the protected and sanitary zones surrounding power lines; accurate length measurement of the intermediate electric wire spans; forestry coordinates and height measurement of trees posing a threat to integrity of lines by stalling or leaning; measurement of the forestry area within a land plot; testing of power line sagging and deflection (the dip test or sag test); coordinates acquisition to locate the intercross-section of wires with different constructions, roads, infrastructure objects and hydrographic object network, dimensions measurement to and from objects;
- Operational processing in the generation of digital elevation model, along with digital terrain model (without forestry, construction objects, machinery, etc.), orthomosaics, digital maps and models of the power line towers;
- Great operational efficiency that provides the vast coverage of area of interest ranging from dozens to hundreds km per day with the application of a single aircraft;
- Cost-reduction when compared with the ordinary ground means of remote inspection.